Why Organic Lawn Care Matters
We know organic lawn care works. Year after year, Greenwise establishes and maintains sustainable, beautiful lawns without using any dangerous chemicals. We believe in creating safe lawns, which in turn creates a safer environment for us all.
Organic lawn care is a process, not a product, and it only gets better with time. Did you know organics will greatly improve the condition of your soil, allowing for better weed suppression and dense, durable turf? Plus, your lawn will more easily tolerate drought conditions and better resist diseases.
That's because the organic process works with nature rather than against it. Lawn and garden pesticides are deadly to non-target species and can harm beneficial insects and soil microorganisms that are crucial to a healthy lawn. Organics nourish and build ecosystems rather than degrade them. They create rich dark soil for healthy life. Organic lawns also filter the air of contaminants, sequester carbon, and provide a safe and comfortable place to gather, play and relax. Now that's something you can breathe easily about.
Want to learn more about our Chicago area organic lawn care services? Contact us online or give us a call at 847-866-1930. As Chicagoland's #1 organic lawn care provider, our routes fill up quickly. Call today & we'll get you scheduled!
Why Chemical Lawns Are Dangerous
Chemical lawns take away what we value most about lawns...safety. Historically, a grassy knoll provided safety and community. Today, chemical lawns are linked to cancer, birth defects, and developmental impairments in both people and pets.
We know chemical lawns are not safe: they degrade our watersheds, pollute our air, sterilize our land, chase away the song birds, and endanger our health.
Living next to Lake Michigan makes it even more imperative that we treat our lawns safely. Click here to find out why that matters.
Quick Facts about the Dangers of Pesticides
- Studies show that regular exposure to Roundup can increase your cancer risk by 41%.
- Studies show that hazardous lawn chemicals and pesticide residues, such as weed killer 2, 4-D, drift into our homes where they contaminate indoor air and surfaces, exposing children at a rate 10 times higher than pre-application levels.
- Of 30 commonly used lawn pesticides, 19 are linked with cancer or carcinogenicity, 13 are linked with birth defects, 21 with reproductive effects, 26 with liver or kidney damage, 15 with neurotoxicity, and 11 with disruption of the endocrine (hormonal) system.
- Of those same 30 lawn pesticides, 17 are detected in groundwater, 23 have the ability to leach into drinking water sources, 24 are toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms vital to our ecosystem, 11 are toxic to bees, and 16 are toxic to birds.
- Studies find that dogs exposed to herbicide-treated lawns and gardens can double their chance of developing canine lymphoma, and may increase the risk of bladder cancer in certain breeds by four to seven times.
- Studies show low levels of exposure to actual lawn pesticide products are linked to increased rates of miscarriage and suppression of the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems.
For a recent list of articles and studies on the dangers of pesticides, please click here.
Are You Ready to Experience an Organic Lawn?
At Greenwise, we understand each lawn is unique. That's why we work closely with you to customize an organic lawn care program that best suits you and your property. We consider your needs, goals, and budget to craft an organic program that makes sense for you and is safe for our environment.
With an organic lawn by Greenwise, you can watch your children play in the yard without worry, let your dog roll around in the grass, and ensure a healthy and safe field of green. Vibrant and lush, organic lawns sustain you, your family, and your community. Choose organics and enjoy a lawn that's 100% safe for you and the environment around you.
Do you live in Chicagoland? Then you know how living next to Lake Michigan makes organic lawn care even more urgent. Want more information? Give us a call at 847-866-1930 or contact us online.
“It is impossible to understate the importance of switching from synthetic chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and weed killers to natural products. The synthetic chemicals remain on our lawns and gardens much longer than the 24 hours we are advised to stay off of the lawn after application, and these chemicals, which are neurotoxins and hormone disrupters, are readily absorbed through our skin, our children's skin and our pets' skin. These chemicals also destroy the natural nutrients and microorganisms in the soil, creating weak plants that depend on more and more chemicals to survive but never really thrive. Natural lawn and garden products nourish the soil, replenish vital microorganisms and create strong plants that are more resistant to disease and pests, while at the same time creating a safe play environment for people and pets."
- Marny Turvill, MD; Greenwise Client