Easy Ways You Can Impact Our Environment
for the Better
Our environment is taking a beating and Greenwise Advocates is one way you can make a difference. Check back regularly for easy ways to advocate, so that you can impact our environment for the better.
In this space, we offer you simple ways to advocate for our environment or to just make a difference in your own life. Our tips will range from every day ways you can personally lighten your footprint to advocating for larger changes at the state, national and global level.
Do you have suggestions for how to advocate? We want to hear from you. Let’s keep the conversation and the momentum for change going. Please help us make a difference. We believe in creating a healthier environment, and we are betting that you do, too.
Looking for information on the dangers of pesticides? Check out our list of recent articles and documentaries. To keep you better informed, we revise this list of resources regularly to help ensure we are up to date with the most current articles, legislation and research studies.
Here’s Our Latest Greenwise Advocates Idea…
This idea came from Go Green Northbrook‘s newsletter…
Countries in Europe, one by one, are banning single use plastic. So has Canada. So has Oregon. So, what can you do? Here are a few simple ways you can make a difference.
- Call or write people in government who represent you, local and state. Tell them how you feel. They will only act if they feel enough votes are at stake.
- Call or write corporate headquarters. Tell them how you feel. They will only act if they feel enough dollars are at stake.
- Keep reusable bags in your car and take them with you as you shop. If you must take a bag from a store, take paper.
- Tell your wait staff, “No straws please” as soon as you sit down, before you find yourself with a table full of straws.
- Find a fun metal water bottle that you enjoy having with you. That way you will skip using a plastic one.
- Have reusable morning coffee mugs handy. Most coffee shops will give you a small discount for BYO. Skip the disposable ones.
One Person Makes a Difference
Our Past Ideas for Easy Ways to Advocate for the Environment (It’s never too late!)
- Re-use instead of buying new. Do you know about Freecycle? It’s a great resource available in most of our communities for people who want to get stuff or get rid of stuff. For free. Sometimes, you just want the crap out of your house and you don’t feel like selling it. Simply list it on Freecycle, put it on your porch, and voila, someone who needs it, gets it. You’ve just helped the environment by not throwing something away, or you’ve just helped by not buying something new. Re-using is a great way to recycle.
- USPirg has released that 14 out of the 15 wine and beers tested were positive for alarming levels of glyphosate! Here are two actions you can take: Sign this petition from USPirg to the USDA to test for glyphosate. Got time for another important step? Call your representatives to tell them glyphosate must be banned!
- Tell Home Depot and Lowe’s to join Costco and Get Roundup Off its Shelves! Sign this petition and share it!
- Take the pledge to get rid of plastics. Did you know about 300 million tons of plastic are produced each year to make bags, bottles, packages, and other commodities for people all over the world? And, according to Earth Day Network, only about 10% of this plastic is properly recycled and reused. You can make a personal difference today!
- Drink loose tea–or at least make sure your tea bags don’t contain plastic. Loose tea most often comes in reusable tins. Plus, it’s usually more flavorful than what you get in tea bags.
- Tell the Federal Government to stop rolling back protections for endangered species. You can send off a quick email to your congress person, sign the Shedd Aquarium’s petition, or what the heck, do both (takes less than a minute): //openlands.org/advocacy/federal-esa
- Stop junk mail!
See how easy it is to advocate for our environment? Keep up the good work–we need you!